The EMBA-Global Asia application process is focused on your unique strengths and potential. You’re required to demonstrate your individual contribution to the learning experience, and how you'll benefit from the programme.
HKU EMBA Scholarship
Partial scholarship funding may be available for strong candidates who consider to apply for the May 2018 intake. There is no additional application required. Please speak with the admissions team if you would like to be considered for the scholarship.
Awards will be based on merit and take into consideration applicants who will add diversity and make a significant contribution to the class and to the EMBA-Global Asia community. Scholarships will be decided by a HKU Selection Committee after the applicant has been offered admission. Scholarship awards will be applied to the third-term tuition instalment.
The application process
1. Applications are completed online. Full instructions are included within the online application.
Tip: There is not a time restriction in which you must complete the application, so register now to familiarise yourself with the system.
2. Completed applications will be processed at The University of Hong Kong.
3. An Admissions Committee, representing all three partner schools, will evaluate each application.
4. Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling bases. Within two weeks of submitting a completed application you will be contacted to schedule an interview either in person or over skype.
5. You'll normally receive a final decision within two weeks of your interview. We reserve the right to defer decisions in order to ensure the highest calibre, and best mix, of participants in the programme.
To maintain the highest standards, 100% of shortlisted candidates are interviewed prior to offer.
The following dates are guidelines to help you to plan your application. Places are allocated on a rolling basis, meaning the sooner you apply, the sooner you’ll receive a decision.
Admission is very competitive, therefore to avoid disappointment we recommend applying as early as possible. Applications received after 3 April 2018 will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants who submit an application by January 31, 2018 are considered for a HKU EMBA scholarship. Those who apply earlier will be allocated with higher amount of scholarship.
Round 1 31 January 2018
Round 2 28 February 2018
Round 3 3 April 2018
As you begin discussing your development plans with your employer, be sure to read our advice on Creating a Business Case. This document will help you build a case for your employer's support, either financial or time away from the office.
To be considered for an interview you should provide:
- a completed online application, including the application form, essays and a personal statement
- a current CV/résumé
- official academic transcripts or certificates
- a GMAC Executive Assessment score / Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score
- evidence of completion of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) / International English Language Testing System (IELTS) / Personal Test of English (PTE) - for non-native English speakers
- two references
- a signed statement of employer support
- a non-refundable application fee of US$250.
GMAC Executive Assessment / GMAT / GRE
Candidates are expected to take the GMAC Executive Assessment as part of the application. GMAT or GRE scores are also accepted. Applications for the EMBA-Global Asia programme can be submitted prior to or after taking the assessment.
There is no a minimum score required but we recommend that applicants take adequate time to prepare for the test so that the admissions team can use it as an accurate gauge of the applicants quantitative and verbal proficiency. The assessment is also used as an indication of a student’s academic abilities and used in the formation of the study groups.
When you register for the tests, please ask for your score to be sent to The University of Hong Kong. The University of Hong Kong GMAT institution code is FS2-WL-33.
Please e-mail the admissions office a scanned copy of the unofficial report that you receive following the completion of the assessment.
- GMAC Executive Assessment registration at www.gmac.com/executive-assessment
- GMAT registration at http://www.mba.com/global/the-gmat-exam/register.aspx
- GRE registration at www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register
English language certificate
If your native language is not English, and you have not obtained a degree from an institution where English was the language of instruction or work in an English speaking environment, you are required to submit official evidence of your English language proficiency.
There are three standardised tests you may take:
Official academic transcripts
You are required to submit academic transcripts from your undergraduate or graduate educational institutions, with certified translated copies if they are not in English.
Signed statement of employer support
Proof of support from your employer for the time you will be out of the office is required to apply to the programme. You must provide a signed letter from an authorised person within your company stating that they agree to allow you the required time away from the office to complete the programme. The authorised person may be your department head, president, chief executive officer or head of HR.
Many EMBA-Global Asia students are also financially sponsored by their employers - either fully or partially. If you are financially sponsored to any extent, it is helpful if you submit complete information on the terms of this financial support, signed by the authorised person within your company. Be sure to read our advice on Creating a Business Case.
If you are self-employed, you must submit a letter stating that you understand the time commitment needed away from work to successfully complete the programme. You may also be required to provide evidence of your current engagements/contracts.
References for Executive MBAs are usually professional rather than academic. You should submit two letters from people who can speak best to your professional experience and accomplishments.
If you have questions regarding the references please contact the admissions office.